Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Pimp my room

When we first got to Delhi, we were staying at the Jukaso Inn and found out that it was a shithole for the price we were paying, eventhough it was well above my budget range, so we moved out to go to the hotel next door which was just a little bit more expensive but a whole lot more luxious. Flat screen TV, minibar, etc, this room is all that! The indians still seem to be amazed by me, although is mostly the men, which validates my theory that most indians are gay. There always taking pictures of me and complimenting me (for my height and biceps they say), I find it pretty weird though it does elevate my ego...

The food here is delicious, pretty spicy but delicious. Until Thursday, I felt great, strong as a lion, and went alone to this small all you can eat thali place to test my stomach. BIG MISTAKE, I'm not quite ready for the real indian food (we've been eat in top notch restaurant the whole time so far), so now I don't feel as good but hey, I'm still not running for bathrooms, so it ain't that bad. Let me show you what a Thali looks like:

One thing that has struck till now is how safe I feel over here, eventhough there is flagrant poverty I don't quite feel in danger nor affected by them. The contrast is sometimes staggering as we leave top notch restaurant where I cancel a bill of more than 15 000 rupees for the group and then end up in a street full of people who live with less than a 100 rupees per day that sleep in the streets. I sometimes feel quite guilty but that's how it is over here, lots of people are extremely poor. It also unbelievable how so many people of distinct religions live harmoniously together, most are Hindus (more than 70%), but still no one complains about anything, there are so many mosques and churches but it all coexists without any conflicts... unlike Montreal.
Jama Masjid, India's biggest mosque in Old Delhi.

We've made 5 industrial visit so far (SNC-Lavalin, Indian Institute of Technology, High Comission of Canada, Indo Canadian Consultancy Service and Tata cy Service), they were all very interesting as they've all showed us how India has to improve and what makes them so strong for the future. Electricity is a major need in India as power shortage is so common, for example in Delhi, there are at least 4 power shortages every day, and out of the city, you are lucky if you have more than 4 hours of electricity per day. The IT industry is booming in India, and some of the world's most renouned IT firms are here enjoying this major workforce.
Poly-India at SNC-Lavalin

We spend the rest of our time visiting Delhi, so far we've done pretty much everything, here a photo of Qutab Minar, Delhi's first mosque site.

Never again will I complain about traffic in Montreal as the circulation here is out of this world! Never again will I complain about a crowded place as there is a shitload of people EVERYWHERE in this country. Never again will I complain as I have experienced total chaos.

No comments: