Thursday, June 7, 2007

Bang, Bang, Bangalore

Bangalore is the Silicon Valley of India, and for those of you who aren't familiar with silicon valley, it's called like this not because women have fake breast here, it's because there is of lot of IT firms (in relation with semiconductors... silicon). Bangalore is also the "air conditioned" city of India, as the weather much cooler (around 30 degres). We had the chance to visit IBM, Freescale Semiconductors, Satyam, Infosys, CGI and ITC infotech who all received us as kings. For example when we arrived at Satyam, they had a flower bouquet for every student, Infosys treated of for lunch with an incredible buffet and then gave us a presentation in their top of the line board room, CGI offered a job to each one of us... and the presentations were just so interesting. We also had lots of free time in Bangalore as we spent 4 days plus a weekend in the city in a gorgeous hotel. For the first time in the mission when went out in pubs and one disco, unfortunately everything closes at 11:30 pm with the police coming in every single bar in the city, which kind of sucks. I had time to enjoy myself though, at the disco, I met two KingFisher flight attendants (KingFisher being the top domestic airline, and the domestic beer also), they were very nice, and by nice I mean cute (actually they were the hottest girls in the bar, so I kind of became the hero of the group, they teased me a lot about it, we all had a good laugh, although some were jealous hehe). They invited on the spot to their KingFisher apartments which were obviously luxurious and I took time to discuss with the 3 of them (as I met one more over there), they answered all my question I may I say it was the biggest cultural shock I've experienced so far. These girls were from different parts of the country, different religions, it was noticeable, and they did not think and act all the same way. Some were more traditional, some more "westernised" in some sense, in the end it was quite interesting, I would be nice to see them again. So in the end, the visits were the best we've had, we went out a few times, had room parties, we experienced a Indian disco which was good although it closed before 12 (I also danced with a India girl while she was on the stage and I wasn't and I was still taller than her...pretty funny) and the shopping was quite good.

No comments: