Thursday, June 7, 2007

Mumbai - Humidity is worst

Next stop for the mission was Mumbai, previously known as Bombay. It's the country's economic capital, over 12 millions habitants, half rich, half poor. Here you really notice the gap in between rich and poor as on one side of the street you see big hotels, nice cars, etc and on the other side a slum or a fishing neighborhood. I must say I never sweated more than I did here, the humidity was so intense, only breathing was hard. It was slightly cooler than Delhi, 35 degrees instead of 42, but the humidity just made it worst. Funny thing, in Delhi, one of the group tested his theory that keeping a wool suit on would actually be cooler than being in a short shirt. Scientifically it make sense as the body is at 37 degrees a wool isolates you from the 42 degrees heat, but practically it just sound stupid. I didn't have a wool suit, so I never even bothered trying. I was disappointed to stay only a few nights in Mumbai, as the city is very vibrant, more than any other city in India, we went out only once, with some Indian friends, on the rooftop lounge of a top end hotel with a gorgeous view of the city, too bad we couldn't enjoy the rooftop pool. The only other things interesting apart from the visits at Deloitte, I-Flex, Phillips and IIT were the tailored suits that I bought for a third of the price I would normally pay and the beer Julien and I took next to the pool at the Taj Hotel (THE most expensive hotel in India), we passed by without anyone asking a single question since were white, eventhough Julien was wearing a wifebeater (cinglet) and me a football shirt...

No comments: